This guide is for inserting Sclera lenses only we also have a guide for inserting coloured contact lenses.
Inserting sclera or scleral lenses can be a bit fiddly so below we give our tips on how to insert them but you should always follow the manufacturers instructions.
Important: We cannot stress enough how important good hygiene is when dealing with any lenses and your eyes.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Rinse the sclera lens in contact lens solution to help soften lens and remove anything on the lenses or your hands including hairs, eyelashes, etc.
- While looking down pull the upper lid up using the hand not holding the sclera lens.
- Rest the upper edge of the sclera lens on your sclera (white of eye) and push it up until you can insert the bottom edge under your lower lid.
- Gently slide the lens into the correct position.
It is normal for sclera lenses to feel uncomfortable when first worn especially if you are not used to wearing them. This will improve as you get used to wearing them. If the discomfort continues stop wearing them.
Removal is the reverse of the above process except you’ll need to use your fore finger and adjacent finger to gently pinch the lens to remove.